Acid Dye Kits
Acid Dye Kits
Just what you need to dye 3.5 oz / 100g of protein fiber! Choose a skein of yarn, 5 mini skeins, or 100g of locks or roving. While you can technically dye super washed yarn, the outcome will vary when using this method, so we recommend dyeing non-superwash fibers only.
- 1 packet of pre-measured acid dye
- 1 packet of pre-measured citric acid to set the dye
What you'll need:
Note: We strongly recommend not using materials you prep food with. Check amazon or thrift stores and keep your craft items separate from your normal cook wear.
- 3.5 oz / 100 g of protein fiber
- dust mask
- bowl with hot tap water
- 1 gallon glass jar or stainless steel pot
- a towel you won't mind getting stained
- rubber gloves if desired
- optional: zip ties come in handy to keep your skeins from getting tangled
** Please note that colors may vary. Different fiber content can create different color results and computer screen calibrations vary.
Prior to getting started, prep your work space by protecting your work surface. Wear clothes you might not mind getting stained, and have old towels available in case of spills.
1. Soak your fiber in hot tap water, making sure it's submerged and fully saturated.
2. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil using a kettle or coffee pot. If using a stainless steel pot, boil 8 cups of water on the stovetop then turn off heat.
3. Add boiled water to a gallon glass jar. If using a stainless steel pot, move on to step 4.
4. Add dye packet and stir.
5. Remove fiber from hot tap water soak and gently squeeze out the excess water.
6. Carefully submerge fiber into the dye bath. You may move the fiber around to make sure color is evenly distributed, but try not to agitate the fibers.
7. Add citric acid packet and carefully stir in.
8. Let steep for 10-15 minutes until dye bath is clear.
9. Remove yarn and soak in a hot water bath to remove any excess dye. Do not wring as fibers may felt.
10. Hang yarn or set out fiber to dry.
Can I dye more than one skein at a time?
You can absolutely dye more than one skein at a time, though the results of your colors may vary. You will need to add more water and will also need to purchase an additional Dye Kit.
Is it safe?
We use non-toxic dye products, though due to the make up of the dye, we recommend not using the same materials as you use for food prep.
Targhee DK Weight YarnRegular price $16.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Highland Fingering Weight YarnRegular price $10.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Wool RovingRegular price $8.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per
Eco Sock YarnRegular price $12.00 USDRegular priceUnit price per